AvaGen™ is the genetic eye test that provides answers on your risk for keratoconus and other corneal diseases—helping you and your doctor make confident eye care decisions now.
The unique AvaGen™ test is:
- Personalized: Uses your DNA to assess your risk of keratoconus, and if you have a corneal dystrophy.
- Preemptive: By finding potential problems before symptoms occur, it allows for proactive management and treatment.
- Painless: A sample is taken from the inside of your cheek with a cotton swab.
WHY IS AVAGEN™ IMPORTANT?
Keratoconus and corneal dystrophies progressively worsen over time if left untreated. In the past, these conditions often went undiagnosed until they permanently affected vision. Now, AvaGen™ can help your doctor take immediate actions to help protect and preserve your vision or to evaluate treatment decisions, including whether or not you can undergo vision-correcting procedures such as LASIK.
With AvaGen™, you will have the peace of mind of knowing you’re doing the utmost to protect your vision.
HOW IS THE AVAGEN™ TEST PERFORMED?
After a simple, in-office cheek swab to gather a DNA sample, the test is sent to a special lab for analysis. Your doctor will inform you of the results, answer questions, and discuss potential next steps. A genetic counselor can further explain what the results mean for your vision, and what to expect next.
WHY WOULD MY DOCTOR RECOMMEND AVAGEN™?
- A family history of corneal problems, vision changes, or a family member had a corneal transplant for unknown reasons.
- Your doctor sees corneal thinning, or suspicious signs or deposits on your corneas.
- You have high or progressive nearsightedness or astigmatism.
- You are considering refractive surgery such as LASIK.