Sunglasses Not Only Protect Your Eyes, But They Look Great and Can Accommodate Every Style and Budget
How times have changed. This year, Summer is looking very different than it did a year ago. Yet despite COVID-19, it’s important to spend time outdoors, whether in your garden or on daily walks.
Although sunglasses are ubiquitous symbols of style, they also serve an important function in protecting your eye health.
7 Reasons To Sport A Great Pair Of Sunglasses
- Sunglasses Provide UV Protection
When most people think about sun-related damage, they think about their skin. But the sun’s ultraviolet rays also pose a threat to a person’s eyes. Protect your eyes by wearing a pair of sunglasses that block 100% of both UVB and UVA radiation.
- They Help Prevent Cataracts and Macular Degeneration
Both cataracts and macular degeneration are the leading causes of visual impairment and blindness worldwide. You're at a higher risk of developing these conditions if you expose your eyes to excessive amounts of UV radiation. The risk can be minimized by wearing glasses that protect against this radiation.
- Cataracts cloud the lenses of the eyes, causing blurred vision. Years of exposure to UV rays cause the protein in the lens of the eye to clump and thicken, preventing light from passing through it. ..
- Macular degeneration refers to central vision loss due to a damaged retina. UV light can be harmful to the eyes, specifically the retina, and exposure to UV rays is a risk factor for the onset of age-related macular degeneration later in life.
- Sunglasses Can Help Prevent Certain Cancers
Ultraviolet exposure has been associated with certain eye cancers and several types of skin cancer found on the eyelids. You can reduce your risk significantly by wearing a pair of sunglasses that offer 100% UV protection. Keep in mind that when choosing shades, it doesn’t matter how dark they are or the color of the lenses. The most important thing is that they block 99% to 100% of UVA and UVB rays.
- Sunglasses Keep You Looking Younger
Though a stylish pair of shades makes anyone feel youthful on the inside, it can also make you actually look younger on the outside. By protecting the delicate skin around your eyes, sunglasses slow down the development of wrinkles and crow's feet. This leads to a more youthful appearance over the years.
- They Protect Highly Sensitive Eyes
If you have light-colored eyes, take medication that causes photosensitivity (light sensitivity), or have a medical condition that causes you to be more sensitive to light (such as dry eye, corneal abrasion, scleritis, or conjunctivitis) you'll need to protect your eyes with UV-blocking sunglasses. Note that large sunglasses block more UV rays than smaller ones.
- Shades Protect Eyes Recovering From a Medical Procedure
Eye surgeries such as LASIK or cataract surgery are common nowadays. You must continue to wear sunglasses following a procedure to prevent complications.
- Sunglasses Enable You to See and Enjoy More
Aside from protecting your eye health, wearing sunglasses helps you see better in bright light. They reduce glare and improve the contrast of what you see, allowing you to better enjoy the sunny outdoors or drive more safely.
Q: How do I know which Sunwear lenses absorb UV rays the most?
- A: Generally, most Sunwear lenses will absorb UV lenses to some degree. Lenses that are marked CR-39R plastic, absorb about 88 percent of UV light. If sunglasses contain polycarbonate lenses, UV absorption will be 100 percent.
Q: Is there a difference between a cheap pair of regular sunglasses versus designer sunglasses?
- A: I believe once you put on a pair of polarized sunglasses you will understand and appreciate the difference. the clarity and the color difference are amazing. It is also one of the best ways to protect your eyes from the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays. A "regular" pair of sunglasses is better than nothing ( along with wearing a hat) in protecting your eyes from the sun, but there is no comparison to polarized sunglasses
Visit the Las Vegas Optical Near You
In addition to the countless eye health benefits that come with regularly wearing sunglasses, a pair of stylish shades can really spice up your look. Moreover, at Yesnick Vision Center, we offer a range of styles to choose from, whether you’re on a tight budget or want to splurge on high-end designer shades. So come visit us in Las Vegas and select your favorite pair.