Pinkeye, also known as conjunctivitis, is an inflammation of the conjunctiva - the thin clear tissue that lies over the white part of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelid.
The infectious forms of pink eye are extremely common and highly contagious.
What Causes Pink Eye?
It is important to know what is causing your pink eye so that you do not spread it to others. Pink eye can be caused by:
- Bacteria (very contagious)
- Viruses (very contagious)
- Irritants like smoke or dust (not contagious)
- Allergens, like pollen (not contagious)
What Are Pink Eye Symptoms?
A doctor can usually diagnose the cause of pink eye based on patient history and symptoms.
Symptoms usually include:
- Crusting of the lashes or eyelids
- Swelling or redness
- Burning, irritation, or itchiness
- Watery eyes
How to Protect Yourself From Pink Eye
There are a number of things you can do to protect yourself from catching and spreading pink eye.
- Wash your hands. Make sure that you and your children wash their hands using soap and water. This is especially important after touching someone with pink eye or their personal items.
- Avoid sharing personal items, such as eye drops, towels, bedding, contact lenses and containers, glasses, and makeup.
- Avoid touching or rubbing your eyes. By touching or rubbing your eyes when you have pink eye, you can spread it to the other eye or worsen the condition.
- If you wear contacts, stop wearing them until your eye doctor says it’s okay. Also make sure to store, clean, and replace your contact lenses as instructed by your eye doctor.
Schedule an appointment with your eye doctor to find out what you can be doing to prevent and protect your eyes from pink eye. Contact Yesnick Vision Center in Las Vegas today!
At Yesnick Vision Center, we put your family's needs first. Talk to us about how we can help you maintain healthy vision. Call us today: 702-500-0525 or book an appointment online to see one of our Las Vegas eye doctors.
Want to Learn More? Read on!